Though I am in the final stages of finishing up my terra cotta run, I have been interjecting the occasional test piece here and there. A couple of weeks back, I decided to try taking some thrown cylinder teabowls and playing with the forms a bit to see what I could come up with. The first couple of bowls, were thrown and paddled triangular, which were okay, but not very satisfying or practical in terms of function. The latest group I decided to keep simple. The bowls were paddled square, rasped to define the edges and then came the tricky part, how to address the feet. I have made squared bowls and forms before and in the past, most had wheel tooled feet, though it works, I wanted something a bit more complimentary and to seem less like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. This time around, I defined the actual foot and then proceeded to cut away the excess, leaving a square foot which better complements the form. The interior of the foot was cut out to tie in to the swirl in the interior of the bowl. I have plans for how to glaze these and if all goes well, I'll post up the finished results in a down the road.
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely." Rodin (1840-1917)