Wednesday, May 29, 2013

EARLY ON

At first glance, I wasn't sure what this chawan was; I thought I was looking at one of those early Showa period pieces that was made in imitation of the late Edo and Meiji period Oribe chawan. It had that crackaleur style whitish opaque glaze and shiny rich green. To my surprise, it turned out to be a chawan, a very early chawan by Suzuki Goro. Made in the early 1970s, this piece shows the free and loose style of throwing he is so well known for together with spontaneous brushwork and casual glazing. The foot, though just a bit stiff, has the glint of things to come in terms of Suzuki's handling of kodai today and all in all, it is a solid pot, early on in the career of one of the most popular potters in Japan today. I can only imagine it would feel great in the hand or look fine just hanging out.

No comments:

Post a Comment