Wednesday, July 2, 2014

THE DARNDEST PLACES

I went looking for a rather specific type of loop tool this morning, one used to create wide depressions while tooling and could not find it in any of my five of six tool caches which lead me on a broader hunt. We have a number of storage bin "tuffies" that we have used for over a half dozen moves and I decided to look through one I suspected was filled with studio odds and end. Once open, I found a variety of things, including lamp parts, clock movement and hands, huge sea sponges, firing stilts, odd cones and finally a bag of tools resting atop something wrapped up in newspaper over a thin layer of bubblewrap. Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to unwrap the find which was obviously a teabowl. I was a bit shocked at what I found, a very large teabowl made by Bill Klock in my last summer in Plattsburgh (1989). Perched upon a tall and keenly cut foot, the bowl has a generous and animated feel and the white glaze with rich green and light indigo accents is covered by the spider web of natural crazing from the Raku firing process. I remember these days fondly as Bill, Jonathan Millman and I made pots for the Raku kiln, glazed and fired the pots as quickly and spontaneously as possible. Pulling them from the kiln with gloves and tongs, the pots glowing red, hinted at their final appearance as they were covered in shredded newsprint and sawdust and allowed to combust in their smoky chamber under in a barrel covered in kiln shelves. Having found the loop tool, it is amazing what stuff and memories can be found in the darndest places.

No comments:

Post a Comment