Friday, December 1, 2017

FEW AND FAR BETWEEN

I remember the first pot that I ever saw by Tokuda Yasokichi III, it was a long time ago and was part of an exhibit that was also showing pieces by Hara Kiyoshi, Udagawa Hosei and another potter who I just can not name at the moment and never saw his pots ever again. The Tokuda was an elegant, large gourd form vase with a brilliant assemblage of colors complimenting and provoking the lines of the piece, it was quite wonderful and did I mention large? Over the years I have seen a disproportionate number of vases in all shapes and sizes and lots of plates as well but mizusashi and chawan, few and far between. I am certainly not suggesting in any way that his chawan and mizusashi are "rare" or "scarce" as I have seen them all over the internet and in catalogues and books but I can count the chawan I have seen on one hand and about the same for mizusashi. The illustrated chawan is an earlier work by Tokuda with a deep, rich purple ground accented with copper greens and blues and even white punctuating the bowl. The bowl is simple in execution but a perfect ground for his brilliant glazing and enameling to which few can match his technique and craft. Though I have not seen many Tokuda Yasokichi III chawan first hand, I can say without any hesitation, they have never been anything less than a rewarding conversation in color, space and form.

No comments:

Post a Comment