Monday, December 11, 2017

TURN OVER A NEW LEAF

Illustrated is the turned footring interior of a terra cotta vase I made recently. As you can see the pot is decorated in my "falling leaves" decoration of red, yellow and green leaves on a rich, black background on terra cotta clay which includes sgrafitto outlining and detailing the leaves. The idea to decorate the interiors of the foot rings and undersides of lids has to do with something someone said long before I started making pots and has stuck with me" "every object has six sides", simple enough and from my perspective that includes the bottom. Though I don't necessarily decorate the bottoms or lid interiors on every pot, I do so when the mood and pot asks for just a little more embellishment or those times when I am just in the groove and a little more is just what the clay doctor ordered. I know that when in use this vase will have some water and flowers in it but when it it time to clean up and put it away it is easy to turn over a new leaf with little to no effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment