Friday, July 6, 2018

FILLING IN THE BLANKS

Some time back, about 2 years or so, I posted up a lid detail of an Iga mizusashi made by Imai Yasuhito. Quite recently I received an email asking if I could post up a full picture of the mizusashi so I searched through one of my storage devices and found this photo. I should say that I did not take these photos, rather they were found floating about on the web and I apologize to the owners of the images for using them but I though this piece too nice not to share. Obviously the surface stands out as a pot that was subjected to a wonderful firing and the form is one of these old forms that many modern potters like Furutani Michio, Kanzaki Shiho (d. 2017), Sugimoto Sadamitsu and numerous others have used as an inspiration. This particular mizusashi has that perpetually wet appearance as if it is a pair of stacked stones in a garden that are constantly watered to bring out the best of the sculpture, an ash surface frozen by fire. I looked for other photos of this piece and came up empty and hope this single image will fill in the blanks where all the lid detail did was leave more questions than answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment