Wednesday, November 14, 2018

CALM BLUE

I don't think that you can get much simpler than this cool blue chawan by Kimura Yoshiro. The color grades from dark to light as it rises up the pot, the lines of the form are direct, imbued with confidence and purpose and the slight wavering of the lip/ mouth breaks up any implied sterility the chawan may have suggested. At first glance there is a stillness and coolness to this chawan that would suggest being aloof or indifferent but to the contrary the calming blue and broken rhythm created by the lip beckon to the viewer, see me, touch me, use me and in this I see a sense of a well centered warmth that is far more inviting that the mere descriptive elements might suggest. I find the subtleties of form and color have been used so skillfully, a product of lots of work and experience to create such a simple bowl that has a depth and complexity that many chawan lack despite all of their attention and details. Kimura Yoshiro has succeeded in making a simple piece that illustrates just how complex simplicity really can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment