Wednesday, January 18, 2012

TEAPOTS


I have always been interested in teapots, more as a challenge of construction and form, than the actual use of the pot for tea. Orchestrating the body of the pot, a "dripless" spout, lid and handle pose a variety of challenges that make a teapot enjoyable to pursue. I first stating making teapots back in the early 90's and was able to sell nearly everyone I made locally and through a number of teapot shows and the studio sales. As I moved away from Cleveland, my teapot output began to fall as it became a bit harder to sell teapots as it is a specific niche among pottery collectors. I went from making a dozen teapots a month, to maybe two a month at present. Teapots are like jugs/pitchers, they just don't seem to be as sought after as a number of other pots I make.



Illustrated is a stoneware teapot. The construction of the pot centers around the paddled thrown body and aligning the spout, lid knob and handle and then finishing the paddled sides with a rib to sharpen the lines around the sides. Once bisqued, I will most likely glaze the pot in temmoku and the sides in combed iron red. I really enjoy making teapots, they are the epitome of engineering and physics for any potter and if you can figure them out, you may well be able to figure any pot out.



"If one is master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time, insight into and understanding of many things."      Vincent Van Gogh  (1853-1890)

No comments:

Post a Comment