Friday, February 1, 2019

AMAZED, MAYBE NOT QUITE

At this point I am not sure that I would say that I am amazed by the styles and diversity of a number of Japanese potters but I think it a safe bet to say there are some things that you just don't associate with specific individuals. In the case of this illustrated chawan it would seem to be something of a rarity to see actual "decoration" on the piece with a few fluid and spontaneous brush strokes of iron over this kohiki style bowl of rather stoic and formal form.  It is easy to see the potter, Tsukigata Nahiko in the form and surface of this pot being a thick, heavily crackled kohiki surface with an ash based glaze over the piece but what does stand out is the use of brushed iron decoration on the front of the chawan. Though I have literally thousands of images of various works by Tsukigata this is the first decorated pot that I can remember seeing though as a talented calligrapher and painter, there are a large number of calligraphic tiles done in Shino. Aside from the tiles, there are a number of pottery pieces that have one form or another of some calligraphic or abstract decoration in the slip prior to being glazed in Shino or other glazes (https://albedo3studio.blogspot.com/2014/01/gone-forever.html ) but as I mentioned, this is the first example of actual brushwork that I can think of. I'll go on record by saying that I am not exactly amazed to see this piece in Tsukigata's body or work but I will admit to being just a tiny bit surprised.

"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." Alice Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment