Monday, July 15, 2019

SPACE, THE FINAL FRONTIER

I have had a number of studios over the years going all the way back to my first shared space with my ex-partner in Cleveland. From there I moved into a large single room in our first house also in Cleveland and then on to various spaces from New Hampshire to my current place in Little Falls. What all of these studios have in common is that space is in fact, the final frontier; balancing areas for working, drying pots, kilns, slab roller and storing supplies and an active glaze making room is always a challenge. The wet glazes are all kept stored under several 8' long folding tables along with a few bins used for various storage but the real problem has always been where and how to store the glaze chemicals and clay. As you can see, the materials are all stacked up with open bags in front of the pile and on top, this gives me a two foot pathway to maneuver where on the opposite side is a built in wood workspace with two levels of shelves for more storage underneath. On the workspace shelftop I have two scales, misc. small storage totes for holding brushes, misc. tools and other things in daily use including all of my cones with the wall in front covered in small nails holding up a variety of objects from sieves to a coil of elements. As I ponder the vast infinity of space it always seems to boil down to the same question; why is it whenever I need to open a new bag of some material it is at the very bottom, back of the pile?

"Space, light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."  Le Corbusier

No comments:

Post a Comment