Monday, September 16, 2019

GANG OF FOUR

A lot of the summer heat has gone and now it makes working in the studio much more enjoyable at a time when I get quite a bit busier. The last two cycles have been terra cotta pieces focused around the abstrakt resist, black & white slipware, tebori  and the newer snowberry pieces and variants on that theme. The illustrated gang of four shows off four stacked snowberry pieces which were part of a series of twelve bowls of similar weight and size though the decoration is entirely freehanded without any measurement at all relying on what seems right more than exact, precise repetition. I prefer this methodology when working using approximately the same amount of clay for each piece without weighing them and then just adding the decoration as I get to each piece though I do admit to using ink to ballpark varying segments breaking down the bowl into 3, 4, 6 or 8 areas. I am sure there are potters and customers who prefer a more exacting approach to the finished product and that's fine but this works for me, fits my temperament and certainly goes best with the music that I listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment