Monday, September 28, 2020

ONE POUND OF CLAY AND 48"

First thing this Monday morning I am working on making a group of (UFO) serving bowls for an order which ties in well with some other commissions that need to be completed. Add to this that I am working on the second stage testing of a new glaze where I use small test cups to see how things work beyond  test pods and small slabs. These particular bowls are 4.5lb and measure about 16" across which should end up at about 14" when glazed and fired. The currently planning is to glaze a couple of these bowl in my saffron and a couple in temmoku and iron red, both making for rather practical and function surfaces. As for the bowl shape itself, I am sure it has been around for quite some time but honestly, I first started making this form at CSU  literally the very next day after watching EARTH VS THE FLYING SUACERS (1956). I think it is really apparent  by now that I am a product of TV (movies and music) and given enough time and all this "nonsense" in my head will find its way in to my work, one way or another.



No comments:

Post a Comment