Wednesday, January 26, 2022

FINGER OF PROVIDENCE

I spend a lot of time doodling especially while watching TV or a movie at night, it's all about multi-tasking. The other night I was doodling an idea for a vessel form that I thought was a winner when my wife suddenly pointed to what I was doing and simply said, "nope". I was a little miffed, didn't say anything and decided to prove her wrong and the next day threw two stoneware cylinders to cut and reassemble and rolled out some slabs. The next day I set about constructing my Frankenstein monster of a piece and after two hours of work realized this was not ever going to work. Before someone points out that you are not going to necessarily succeed on the first attempt let me reassure you, it was 110% clear this idea was not going to work as the basic premise was to defy gravity and that never ends well. In the end I cut the piece up, put it in a bag, sprayed it down with water hoping to salvage the 8 pounds of clay and over two hours of time.   

Illustrated is the results of the reclaimed clay a few days later, stoneware covered jar with two lids and then with impasto applied slip. I ended up making two versions of this jar, one a bit more slender and taller than this, the other a bit more robust as well as three teabowls so I was able to redeem at least the materials by applying them to forms and idea I am used to and would like to think I have mostly worked out. I guess the moral of the story is a bit murky; I stand by the decision to go ahead and try to see if an idea has any merit but when the finger of providence reaches over and plunks down on your doodle, maybe you (I) should pay more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment