Wednesday, June 5, 2024

BLUE GRASS

I am back to using this old soda blue glaze again which dates back to my days in Cleveland, I think the formula came from either Bill Brouillard (CIA) or possibly Linda Christianson who was teaching in Cleveland at the time. I have been using the glaze on both stoneware, with slips and on porcelain as seen in this example of carved black slip through to the clay body. I thought I had to get around to expanding the possibilities, making a few pieces with my "grasses" pattern and I think it works well despite not being easy to photograph. In this case a small eight or nine inch bowl with small divets implying lobes around the circumference which works well with the border and pattern incised and carved into the piece where the black slip turns truly dark and bold. Its a simple form, decoration and overall idea but I just won't complain when all three come together and avoid the necessity for the hammer to get involved.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment