Wednesday, January 8, 2020

ONI-KI-SETO

A while back I posted up a rather unorthodox Ki-Seto kabin by Tsukigata Nahiko that was made around 1972 or so. As I mentioned in the blog, the surface doesn't necessarily conjure up a text book definition of the style so I took a picture out of the ONI-SHINO book, also circa 1972 to give a more classical example of Ki-Seto which Tsukigata has termed, Oni-Ki-Seto. Despite the creative moniker, this chawan certainly subscribes a bit more to the tradition and it is clear in form and surface that this is clearly influenced by historical archetypes and the works of his master, Arakawa Toyozo while there is no denying that this bowl is distinctly the product of Tsukigata's creative and fertile aesthetic. I love the power of the form and undulating lip and the richness of the surface with areas of thicker, built up ash deposits and the emphasis on the verticality of the chawan written in the streaking, running glaze. I really like this chawan for the blend of simple and complex and should we ever meet, I hope it is neither bashful nor offended by PDA*.

(* Pottery Displays of Affection)

No comments:

Post a Comment