Monday, June 14, 2021

DOUBLE LAYERED NERIAGE (?)

I decided to kick the neriage concept up a notch, well at least for me and how I use it. The first step was to wedge black and white porcelains together and then once that was done I added to thick bars of black to the wedged cone at diagonals with as little wedging done as possible. I intentionally minimized the centering process and just threw the clay to the desired shape as quickly as possible and as you can see there is a finer pattern behind the bolder (which if you look closely you can see inside the larger areas of black), black pattern that stands in front creating a rather interesting overall effect. As I am quick to point out, this isn't exactly rocket science though I do like the contrast of fine and bold pattern circling the teabowl and I am not sure I have seen this done before and thought it was a novel approach to add something else to the neriage that I make from time to time. I should mention that I choose black to add as a secondary addition because I was concerned that using a less bold clay, the pattern from the rear would show through the top layer making things more confusing than harmonious and at the end of the day, that makes for a perfect outcome.    

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."  Lucius Annaeus Seneca 

No comments:

Post a Comment