Wednesday, September 18, 2024

NEW TOOL

So I have been working on this new series of teabowls where the bowl is thrown and slightly altered and then the rest of the work is done off the wheel on a foam pad on a banding wheel for elevation more than anything else. As per usual I have been struggling with the foot which just is a constant thorn and a conundrum that I just can't crack. I kept thinking that maybe I can blame my available tools for the foot attempts failing to materialize as I want it to and then just within eyeshot I found a new tool. Off on a shelf not far from where I work on the wheelhead there was an opened pack of shims bought at the local hardware store, 20 to a pack for $3 and with the finest adjustment to sharpen the front and one side, I was in business. 

First I set up the size of the foot and begin nearly vertical cut to define the size and shape, next using the shim at a slight angle but horizontal I cut around the bowl and remove the donut like ring of extra clay. From there I use the shim to contour the foot and bowl profile and I think I may actually be getting somewhere. As I mentioned in a previous post it may take another 108,000 bowl but armed with my .15 cent shim and some amount of idealistic determination maybe I can get somewhere (?) sooner than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment