Friday, October 12, 2018

A.P.

To some, this may seem like heresy and to others, well, why didn't I think of that? Recently in an email exchange with a longtime collector we were discussing being accidental guinomi collectors but unlike my wife and I who do drink various spirits, the other collector did not but had over the years found a variety of uses or "alternative purposes" for his guinomi that are just about as satisfying. At parties, meals and cordial, casual get-togethers he has used guinomi for appetizers, sauces, individual sushi dishes and even for desserts like sorbets, custard, ice cream and even chocolates. I thought the idea sounded quite interesting and I could image a table set with varying Japanese and American handmade pottery punctuated here and there with guinomi of various origins. The illustrated guinomi is a boxed but unidentified kannyu seiji piece that I decided to heap full with brandy cordials and though it looks positively large in scale it is just about 3.5" across and holds a very ample portion of dark chocolate goodness. I thought the contrast between the form, glaze and contents was rather pleasing but it would seem in no time at all, only an empty guinomi remains, go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment