Monday, March 18, 2019

VIRENS

I keep working on the various greens that I work with from the multiple Oribe formulas to the old standard medieval green to see what more I can wring out of the copper glazes. The small yunomi pictured is part of a set of six that I made in which I soaked the glaze at high temperature for just a bit and then let it cool as slowly as I could. The results were better than expected and have that lush, verdant quality that only green glazes seem to possess, a depth and richness that cloaks a pot in a comforting warmth and attractive invitation. The deeply impressed decoration has filled up with extra glaze making fro a really dark green appearance and the impressions also help in the function of the yunomi making for a sure grip. I am pleased with this glaze, it is simple to make, simple to use and simple to appreciate when it is fired, what more can you ask from a surface?

No comments:

Post a Comment