Friday, October 23, 2020

WARMING UP

I am not sure when I took this photo but it has been hanging around long enough. This classical, Chinese influenced and cool blue koro was made by Suzuki Sansei and just seems to be warming up for either its intended function or just to be admired. The wonderful, double refractive celadon pools in the channels of the top and bottom of the koro body and breaks as if on cue on the shoulder creating a wide array of points of interest that also act to animate and define the form. In many respects there isn't a ton going on here in terms of form and glazing but due to the special nature of the glaze, the piece just comes to life and it is clear that any bell and whistles added to the pot would have been for naught. Though I am a huge fan of Suzuki Sansei's more opaque seihakuji glaze I am sure I can find my way to accepting this glaze and all that goes along with it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment