Friday, June 18, 2021

HAMAGURI-KODAI (!)

When I first saw this wonky chawan I couldn't help but think what a unique and unusual foot, then I remembered what I was looking at and who it was made by and then I thought, well of course it is different. This collage depicts two views of the same foot from a somewhat wonky Bizen chawan by Kakurezaki Ryuichi and as I mentioned innovative, different and unusual go hand in hand with this potter. What you can clearly see is this bifurcated, wari-kodai style foot that forms a deceptively stable pedestal for what is a rather elongated bowl form all dressed up in a rich coating of ash across the face and interior with a wet fumed layer of ash on the rear. Thrown separately and attached to the bowl, the foot is highly animated and a perfect addition to complete the form while creating a focal point that to most is a bit of a surprise and even a novel approach for the kodai of a teabowl.     

I should also mention that when I first saw this chawan I couldn't help but be reminded of a comic strip from my high school years, B.C. by Johnny Hart. There was an ongoing joke where one of the B.C. gang spots a clam running on two legs and exclaims, "Clams got legs!" to which the clam quips, "Now I have to kill him.". This association is not meant to disparage the chawan (which I just love) in the least but I do have to say, every time I looked at the bowl or pictures of it, I can't help but smiling ever so slightly.



No comments:

Post a Comment