Wednesday, November 30, 2022

SQUARED UP, ASSEMBLED AND FIRED

A while back I posted up a greenware version of this thrown round, squared up and assembled stoneware vase and here is the finished piece. Glazed in my Kuro-Oribe glaze, I used a soft layer of iron over the form to keep from obscuring all of the marks and details around the piece from where I have left soft rasp marks, joints where the pieces and lugs where luted together, the pie crust impressions around the mouth and the subtle upturned areas that help define the base and foot area. As I mentioned previously, this was rather quickly thrown and built without any real desire to make a perfect geometric form, instead I did what I mostly do, I "eye-balled" the construction in the hopes that would add a sense of non-chalance to the vase. I have to admit that considering the bulk of my work is just thrown, these thrown, altered and assembled pieces are both a blessing and a curse as when things go well it feels like time well used but when things go wrong, they usually go very wrong. All in all I felt like this was time well spent and an investment into being thoroughly square.     

(I will admit this is not the best photograph but try as I might I just couldn't get the surface to "pop" and I am left with a bit of color and the overall form. Hopefully the sunlit detail will give a little more insight into the surface.)


No comments:

Post a Comment