Illustrated is a Kuro-Oribe style tataki yunomi that was thrown and then beaten on and manipulated just a bit. It has a somewhat wonky appearance and rests on a foot, handcut using a simple sharpened shim stock wedge direct from the big hardware box-mart. I will say that I do enjoy making these, a process that is start to finish in mostly under 30 minutes or so and on the odd occasion, they go right on top of the firing kiln and I am able to get them in a bisque the same day that they are made. It doesn’t get any faster than that.
Wednesday, August 12, 2026
LIFE LESSON
I have spent the last three
days making up glazes, washes and glazing up enough pots for two kiln-loads,
possibly three. I am not a huge fan of glazing but am reminded of a very
important (life) lesson, one I should adhere to, the time to make up glazes is when
you notice they are too low to move forward and not the day you plan on
starting to glaze. As with most things, this is not rocket science it is just
proper planning and better time management than just rushing around trying to
do too many things at once. There are several different glaze combos being
fired, some tried and true and others just in their infancy so firings like
this always make me nervous with more than a few pieces needed for a show and
some orders. I’ll fire the first kiln tomorrow so time will tell and now it is
advanced JuJu time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment