Wednesday, October 7, 2026

SAFURON-IRO TETSUYU

I am reasonably sure I have made it clear that I really enjoy a guinomi that mimics the proportions, attitude and presence of a chawan and as I make smaller cups, sippers and what-have-you, I try to capture that same sense in my own work. Illustrated is a small saffron iron glazed piece, which I have been calling “safuron-iro tetsuyu” which to my ear sounds a bit better. Thrown out of a white stoneware, I added thick, impasto slip creating a gear/ cog like look that makes its way around the small sipper. Once bisque, it is glazed in two glazes one over the other and then two very thin glazes, almost washes are atomized over parts of the top of the cup and interior. Being a rather runny surface, the channels direct the movement at a nice angle and to some degree slow down the impending disaster as evidenced by the errant runny drip that has made its way to the foot.Though this is bigger than your average guinomi, excepting perhaps Kumano, it is smaller than my teabowl forms but I would like to think it has the same visual in proportion and since that is what I am shooting form, who am I to complain, that will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment