Monday, August 31, 2026

SIMPLE PLEASURES

I am sure everyone has had someone tell them, sometimes you just need to relish life’s simple pleasures. Maybe for some people, when and where they first heard that is likely forgotten in the mists of time but I can honestly say, I remember the very first time. When I was seven years old, I was rather ill and as such missed almost an entire school year. Luckily, there were several individuals who saw fit to help me keep up on my school work, lessons and tests so I did not fall behind. One of these caring individuals was Sister Dominica from Saint Peter’s School in Plattsburgh, NY. She would make the walk, in her late 70’s from the “nunnery” to our house, three times a week bringing lessons, reading material and whatever else I needed to keep up. She was like my own personal miracle, always kind, a bit stern at times and easy to get a grin from. I remember one day being a bit overwhelmed after a visit to the hospital and she commented about a gift I received from a nurse at CVPH Hospital, without missing a beat, Sister Dominica commented, things may seem bad, they could be worse so you need to take comfort in life’s small pleasures pointing out my small constructed battlefield of toy soldiers. I have always remembered that moment and try to keep that lesson close to home.     

Today was one of those days, despite a mediocre firing, one piece came out that I was relatively pleased with for longer than normal and a parcel arrived, quickly and at a very good price. Illustrated are ten double boxes of my favorite snack from Japan, Tomato Pretz. They were on sale at YAMI for a very good price, super reasonable shipping cost and good through the middle of 2027. I guess it is true, life’s simple pleasures, what else can you ask for, a good pot and a box full of snacks, that is just perfect for a Monday or any day that ends in Y. 

(This is in no way intended as a promotion or advertising for Yami, in recent times, it has been rather expensive to get Tomato Pretz here so when I spotted this add on Facebook on Thursday, I thought it worth the risk. I should also interject that I did mention the word, “pot” so at the very least, this post is pottery adjacent.)

No comments:

Post a Comment