
Measuring in at just under nine inches tall, this covered jar falls under the umbrella of jars I refer to as “wasp jars”. The basic thought is the wasp like stinger for a knob and the waisted form and expanded top of the piece. I started making these back in Cleveland during what may looking back now seem like the medieval ages and I am not quite sure where the idea actually came from except, I like pots that change the curves, going in and then out while resting on a smaller scaled foot. This one was thrown out of a white stoneware and has a base clear glaze, another glazed brushed over it and two additional glaze washes atomized seemingly random to create this surface. I decided to run this surface by a more sterile canvas without any paddling, carving, stamping or slip work to see that it was interesting enough to stand on its own one foot, I think it passes the test. Maybe next time around I can get it into the 14” range to see that the glazing is enough to carry the day.

No comments:
Post a Comment